Sony Xperia Z2a: All That We Know
Sony’s latest offering in the international market promises to be an excellent phone, although not very many details are available. It’s the Xperia Z2a which is the international version of the Xperia ZL2 which is meant for release in Japan. It is slated for initial release in Taiwan in July. Unlike the recently released Z2, this modelwill have a black plastic face and will be slightly smaller.And for the fashion conscious buyer, the good news is that in addition to the customary black and white colored bodies, this phone is also being launched in a cool and stylish turquoise avatar.
Let’s get into its actual features now:
The phone has a pretty good display. And we aren’t just saying that, the proof is in the actual details – 5 inch full-HD Triluminos display using the Mobile Bravia Engine 2 and X-Reality. The result – ithas the capability to deliver an astounding pixel density of 440ppi.However, unlike most of its mid-range phones this one from Sony uses VA panel technology instead of the IPS panel.
Similar to the Xperia ZL2, it has a Quallcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor running at 2.3 Ghz paired to an Adreno 330 GPU and 3GB of RAM.
- The phone comes with 16 GB of storage that can be expanded to 128 GB using a micro-SD card. Again, a heck of a lot.
- The phone supports LTE connectivity which is Taiwan’s 4G LTE bands, apart from Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS/ A-GPS, GPRS/ EDGE and 3G connectivity options. You can expect to be well connected wherever you go.
- Like the other high-end phones fromSony, the Experia Z2a is very well waterproofed (IPX5/IPX8) and dust-proofed (IPX5). That solves quite a large problem that people face with a number of these feature rich smartphones – they are great to work with, but tend to be pretty fragile in these departments!
- It has a 3.1MP front camera. That’s really good resolution for a front camera – but it is the back camera that takes the cake – it is an astounding20.7MP CMOS with a1/2.3 Exmor RS sensor which has been featured on a few recent Sony high-end phones. It has an aperture of f2.2 and flash.In comparison, the front camera is a little disappointing, but maybe Sony is just trying to discourage the practice of taking selfies…
- The battery is 3000 mAh whereas the Z2 has a 3500 mAh battery. However that should not make much of a difference to battery life as the screen, in this case is smaller, and therefore less likely to consume quite as much battery as the Z2.
This phone has a lot of resemblance to the ZL2 marked for sale in Japan, and is somewhat less than the Z2 in certain respects – particularly the screen as well as the body specifications.
However, Sony is yet to reveal two very vital facts about the Z2a. We do not know what the price is expected to be, or when this phone will be available in other countries. At the same time there were some pre-release rumors that the display, though of equal specs to the Z2, is not as good to look at. At the same time it is also being said that you can expect the price, when revealed, to be a fair bit lower than that of the Z2.
On the whole it isn’t really possible to give a final verdict until the price and the date for global release is released. And ultimately the test lies in how well the phone is received by buyers once it is released in the market!